Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Pinhoti Trail, Section 10 10-18

I'm in the process of shutting down my homeschool blog and moving my more recent solo trips over here, plus blogging new trips as they happen, so bear with me while the transition is underway.


Did 17 miles on the Pinhoti as an overnight.  It was hot, humid, buggy, and though the trail was easy walking for the most part, we were all exhausted by the end.

I did not get any blisters this trip, wore my Chaco sandals and on the second day I added Injini socks because my foot was getting rubbed a little.


We parked my van at Burns Trailhead and rode in the Jeep to Pine Glen campground and hiked north from there.








Sweetwater Lake





The sign cracked me up!
THERE IT IS!

Shelter had no drink machine 2 out of 5 stars.



This is called 'unnatural forest' in the description because it's planted.






Shoal Creek Church


We camped near a small stream past Coleman Lake, I was so muggy hot that I set up my hammock, and then went to wash off in the creek.   It was about waist deep in one part, so I scrubbed clean (as clean as I could with no soap), dried off and could not bring myself to put on my usual fleece sleepwear, so I walked back in my hiking shirt and clean underwear!  I got some whistles from the Peanut Gallery, but dang.  It was HOT.


I have long had issues with hiking+hair.



That's a big pinecone, Gina has an unusually large head.




Why neither of my hiking partners tucked that bottle in better is beyond me!
Again with the hair...

This is the best possible water-gathering scenario.
The water is clear, there were snails (indicates clean water), it was cold, and it was moving well.
The spot under the root was easy to reach without getting my feet wet and it's deep.

Always scoop downstream when filling water bottles.
Instinct says to hold it with the opening upstream so the water will flow in, but so will all the silt that gets stirred up from dipping. 

Zap, treat, filter-your choice-and done.  Takes less than a minute!

Action shot!


Action shot!

The trail climbed UP a long way after following the creek for a while.

There were SO MANY downed trees in this area, I call them Treetours because you have to get around them.

Or over them!
Action shot!


The dam at Chocolocco Lake



There were zillions of mushrooms out



No comments:

Post a Comment